St John the Evangelist, Cowgill


Holy Communion 1st Sunday of month at 0900 and Evening Prayer 3rd and 5th Sunday of the month.
Priest: The Rev. Christine Brown.
Churchwarden: Janice Moorby and Heather Fraser

St John the Evangelist Church is a Grade II listed place of worship in Cowgill and dates back to 1869 when Professor Adam Sedgwick (the father of British Geology) used his influence with Queen Victoria and Gladstone to get his own way in a dispute with the then curate of Cowgill Church (The Rev J Sumner). This resulted in the name of the church being changed back from Kirkthwaite to Cowgill by Act of Parliament in 1869.

The graveyard is the resting place for 27 Navvies and their families who helped build the Settle-Carlisle Railway. A memorial stone carved by local artist Pip Hall, was erected in 2017 (pictured). It is well maintained by a team of local volunteers.

We hold regular services as well as events, coffee mornings, etc., thanks to the help of the extended Cowgill Church community.

If you would like to
• find out more about St. John’s
• join a service
• come along to events
• donate to our restoration works
then please contact the churchwardens, Janice Moorby or Heather Fraser.

Click here to view the Friends of Cowgill Church Community newsletter.


Send email

Contact person Rev. Christine Brown
Phone 01539 625418
Phone 01539 625295 (Janice Moorby), 01539 625727 (Heather Fraser)
Category

Back